Ryan insists these grace our table each Thanksgiving, and declares that marshmallows on top are a requirement.
Photo Courtesy of Allrecipes
8 large yams, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice
Several pinches ground cinnamon
1 - 2 (10.5 ounce) packages miniature marshmallows
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and mash.
2. Place mashed sweet potatoes in large bowl, and use an electric mixer to blend with the butter, brown sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon. Spread evenly into a baking dish. Refrigerate if making ahead.
1. Allow casserole to come to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Top mashed potato mixture with miniature marshmallows.
4.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until heated through, and marshmallows are puffed and golden brown.