Sunday, December 6, 2009

Creamy Black Bean Soup

When I told Ryan I was making black bean soup tonight, he wrinkled his nose. Well, guess who ate his words (not to mention lots of soup)???


Recipe Courtsey of Valerie Geary
Photo Courtesy of slim-shoppin.com


Makes 4 Servings

INGREDIENTS
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 1/2 Tbs olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1-2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cups of vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 heaping tsp chili powder (or more if you want it hotter)
1 heaping tsp cumin
1/2 cup cream, half in half, or milk (depending on the fat content you want in your soup - I use milk and it works just fine)
1/4-1/2 cup fresh (deli-type) salsa
chopped green onions (optional)
sour cream (optional)
avocados, diced (optional)


DIRECTIONS
Heat olive oil in heavy saucepan and saute onions, celery, and garlic for about 3-5 minutes until tender. Stir in beans, broth and seasonings. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 25-30 minutes.

Cool slightly.

Puree about 75% of the soup (adding small batches at a time) in a blender (or use an immersion blender). The more soup you puree the creamer. If you want chunkier soup, puree about 50-60% of the soup.

Return to pot and stir in cream and salsa. Cook on medium heat until soup is hot again.

Serve topped with onions, avocados and sour cream as desired.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

Oooh! This looks delicious!

Valerie Geary said...

mmm... glad you enjoyed it!! I want some more right now! :)

Grandma Honey said...

Not sure if you will see this Michelle but I just wanted to let you know I finally tried this tonight and we loved it! Amy made it a few days ago and she was raving about it so I thought I'd make it. It was just so so good. Even Cami loved it. And the funny thing is, I forgot to blend part of it to make it creamy. After dinner I remembered that part so I blended the leftovers and they were even better! Such a good flavor.

RMCarter said...

I'm glad you liked it! Ryan has requested it just about every week since the first time I made it. :)