Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lemon Bars

I am on a lifelong journey to bake the perfect lemon bars. This is my recipe so far. I tweak it a little every time I make them... I'm still working on it.

Picture Courtesy of 'What a Dish!' from Allrecipes


INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
3/4 cup butter, cold
1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)

4 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup lemon juice

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.

In a medium bowl, stir together 1 1/2 cups flour, confectioners' sugar, and lemon zest (if using). Cut in the butter until butter is the size of peas. Press mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.

Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light. Whisk in the sugar, baking powder and 1/4 cup of flour. Finally, stir in the lemon juice. Pour over the prepared crust and return to the oven.

Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until bars are set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

1 comments:

CrystalsCozyKitchen said...

I love lemon bars, I am definately going to have to try this... I can never find a good recipe for them!