Sunday, August 26, 2012

Thai Lettuce Wraps

After dreading meal planning for years, I decided to sign up for Emeals.  I had briefly tried them out before, but it was short lived.  I checked their website out recently, and they had added so many options, I decided to try them again.  It costs anywhere from $5-$8 a month, but they coordinate their menus with sale items and seasonal ingredients, so you save money at the store (I saved my $7 fee in the first week). 

You can choose meal plans for vegetarian menus, gluten-free, and so forth.  I signed up for the "clean living" plan.  These are supposed to be recipes on the healthier side, but still tasty.  Emeals gives you the meal plan, recipes and a shopping list.  I have tried a few so far, and they have been pretty tasty!  The one that surprised me most was this one.  Ryan was secretly expecting to hate it, and I was hesitant too.  It is SO good though!  We just had it Friday and he's already requesting it again...

Thai Lettuce Wraps


Photo Courtesy of Kraft Foods
Recipe Courtesy of Emeals
Modified by me
Serves 4 people

INGREDIENTS:
1 head lettuce (butter or iceberg)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 T oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1-2 T grated ginger
2 T chopped garlic
1 lb ground pork
1/3 cup lime juice
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 cup peanuts
Red pepper flakes
Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Separate lettuce leaves, rinse and dry.  Heat pan, add coconut and stir until crisp.  Set aside.

Heat oil and saute onion, ginger and garlic for 3-5 minutes.  Add pork and saute until cooked through.  Drain fat.  Add lime juice, cilantro, peanuts and red pepper flakes (the amount you put in determines the heat - I use a few sprinkles).  Season with salt to taste.  Stir in toasted coconut.  Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves, roll and eat!

Side suggestion:  Corn on the cob rubbed with butter, seasoned with salt and sprinkled with lime juice and a light dusting of chili powder. 

0 comments: